Let us be honest, we all love colors on our screens in different patterns but not when we get to see jagged and weird lines all on the panel. The mere sight of it will indicate something is fishy with our laptop.
Sometimes you might see rainbows on the screen when your graphics card has errors. This is because colors are jumping around all over, and it can be hard for us humans to pick out what we are looking at!
A Rainbow in computer parts translates as an error code that often occurs during video memory updates or file writes. This means there is nothing wrong with either or both NVIDIA GPU (graphics processing unit) components AND AMD Catalyst software installed correctly.
The display on your multiple laptops like gaming laptop,engineer tablets, and Architects these are delicate and important part of its functionality. Pressure from certain areas can cause lines or spots that are not normal for the screen to appear. It could lead you into believing there is something wrong with it when it really just needs replacing!
Such a pressure of these strange markings may result in dark blotches that will take away from what should have been a beautiful image! A lot has changed since we first started using computers back in 1977; one thing though remains constant.
Tech glitches like this one still happen sometimes due to malfunctions within their hardware components. This is why every now and then someone might experience them first hand despite all efforts put forth by manufacturers at ensuring quality control throughout production processes.
The display on your laptop can be damaged by pressure. This is because the screens are not made to handle heavy items like books or laptops. They may crack under such forces, leading you into seeing weird lines appear throughout the screen.
These lines will make everything look grainy instead! All of our outwork depends upon having clear vision every time but luckily there are several fixes for those who find themselves with broken screens.
When you get to see your screen that shows different lines in various colors on all or some part of the display, there might be some hardware or software issue. We have a list of fixes that might help you get rid of it.
Laptop Screen Weird Colors And Lines
We all deserve the best visual in our laptops since we paid for it and most importantly, everything depends on it. In entertainment or work, those colorful lines are annoying and can be very distracting even if some part of the screen still works.
Here is what you can do to check if it is fixed by:
- Click on start by right click and choose “control panel”
- Locate the “appearance and personalization” options and tap on it.
- You will see a “resolution” written after clicking on it, you will see a drop down arrow.
- It will place a “recommended” option that is the most appropriate for your laptop. It is your display’s native resolution and will give you the best view possible.
- There will be “brightness and contrast” options also available and adjusting them can also support the getting rid of the jagged lines.
- For windows users that have the older version can find these settings within “power options” in the control panel.
Update Drivers of Graphics:
If your problem still persists, you must try upgrading your graphics driver by choosing device manager by right clicking. After that, you have to check the video card driver that might contain a yellow or red exclamation mark or question mark sign on the top side of it.
Even if you see an error notification, you just double-click on it and open properties. There will be a driver’s tab and after tapping on it, click update driver. Once it is done, you have to restart your system to see if the problem is fixed.
If you have an AMD or Nvidia video card, you might want to directly download the update from the website. For getting the maximum performance, this step should be taken under consideration at all times. An easy way to do it is trying it out with DriverFix as a third party software.
No worries if the problem still persists, try to downgrade the video card driver to an older version so that it can be active and working like before. You need to press the windows key with the X key to choose the “device manager”.
Once you see this, right click on “display adapters” and choose “properties” and see the version that is installed. For choosing through the control panel, tap windows and R key then click OK. you will see troubleshooting written on top of all. After that choose display quality so that you see a pop up box.
Type your password as an admin and give the permissions that are required for the action to take place. These issues can be hard to handle if some file is corrupted or missing in your Windows files. You can install “restoro” , which is a tool for scanning and repairing your laptop issues.
This method is usually used when you want to tweak with the software of a certain program so to determine if the lines and color glitch is a software issue or not, BIOS settings must be tested.
- First of all, shut off your computer but keep the power cable connected. This method is for desktop monitor screens.
- Turn it back on and press F10 multiple times.
- If you see the lines in BIOS settings as well, it is probably hardware failure.
- A forced or hard reset and updating BIOS can also help.
- If you do not see any vertical lines then the issue must be software and in this case keep your computer on safe mode.
- Try uninstalling the current display adapter.
- After that you can exit safe mode.
For accessing BIOS on a laptop, there are basic procedures for this simple method that will take you to the advanced settings of your device.
- If you have pluggedd your laptop from a power source, try removing it first.
- Turn it off first and flip it back on.
- When it starts to boot press down F10 key for a few seconds which is also known as long press.
- This pause of 5 seconds will pop out a BIOS menu screen.
- Press F10 key again and you get to see BIOS configuration.
- You can also choose to boot from CD or USB in such BIOS setups so that all the issues regarding memory or software can rush into them.
- You can manage the settings on the BIOS settings page and if you want to undo any changes press down F9 key while the system is booting.
Booting itself can be helpful with a few simple steps. This can work for desktops more efficiently than any other platform.
- For performing a clean boot, you have to type msconfig in the search box and tap enter.
- Under the services tab, check the box that says hide all microsoft services.
- Choose to disable all and go to the startup tab.
- Open the task manager and click on ok after closing it.
- Restart your system to see the results.
This way reduces the software issues that can come up time and again if they are rooted in your system for a long time.
In the first place, try gently pressing down on the laptop screen surface with your finger. If it shows any rainbow colored spots or distortions, you need to change this LCD. This replacement must be done by experts in the repair shop.
On the other hand, you can also try connecting your laptop with an external monitor that can figure out what is wrong with your panel. This is like testing the screen to see if the same problem persists in the external monitor as well.
It only takes a few seconds to check it out so you need to have a VGA or DVI cable. If not, an HDMI or S-video wire can also work out. Even though all monitors do not support HDMI so the VGA wire is the safe side.
These connections will be automatically detected in the latest laptops and you will know when both monitors will start seeing the results. If this does not happen automatically, you need to establish a connection by pressing Fn and F4 key for HP laptops, Fn and F5 buttons for Toshiba, Fn and F7 for Lenovo laptops and Fn + F8 for Dell models.
Determine the difference between both the screens. If one is good and the other is poor, it is usually because the laptop’s screen function needs to be fixed. If both monitors display the same quality or weird lines, you might want to update your graphics driver.
If the issue is minor and gets resolved through these methods then you are in the safe zone. If it is major and the laptop panel is not working properly, you must visit an LCD repair shop in your area that is the best.
In case you see vertical lines on the screen but it works fine like it used to be, than the LCD cable might be loosely connected with the motherboard. Such poor connection or bad quality wire can also cause this problem and you only need to replace it.
In this case, there is nothing much to worry about and changing the wire will solve your problem. Afterall it is risky to use a broken or worn out cable for long. It does not cost much to exchange it with a new one but the plus point is, you will not find distortion on your laptop again.
Usually the problems like this are solved by restarting your computer so if this simple method is not worth it, you have to dig in deeper to find the root cause. Such distortion or lines on the screen can be the cause of hardware or software failure which can be fixed either through these methods or you have to take it to the repair shop.